Saturday, April 24, 2010

Accomplishing Something Creative

Well I guess it was bound to happen.  When everyone else in the house has gotten sick, I have somehow managed to dodge it.  Apparently this time, I forgot to duck.  While it's not serious, there is nothing quite like trying to work, take care of the house, and feel lousy.  Luckily it's only a sore throat (not strep is what the initial test said), fullness in the ears, and a stiff neck, but I would still pass if I had the choice.  AT also woke up with a fever on Thurs.  He had it for a day and a half and his eating dropped noticeably.  He seems to be feeling better, but I certainly hope he doesn't end up with a repeat of Spring Break.  It took him two weeks to get over that and we don't have two weeks to get healthy right now.  Between me working, the girls' tball & machine pitch games, and T's baseball games, we are thoroughly overstretched.  Although being sick does have it's advantages . . .

I'm between master classes right now and I cherish this little two week window where I can read anything I want and do anything I want without a deadline hanging over me.  (Can you tell I tend to ramble because that was one long sentence?)  Anyway, since I had no homework and laundry was the only pressing chore (no pun intended because I so do NOT iron) I decided to head into my sewing room.  Back when Mom was here for our Crafter's Retreat in Feb, she brought me my birthday present.  I have always wanted a better sewing cabinet, but refused to pay $500 for one.  Mom had a great one when I was growing up, but in all the moves, she had sold hers.  (Besides no one would have guessed in a million years that I would be sewing so why keep it for me?)  I really wanted one like that but they were very hard to find.  Enter Mom!  She found one at a second hand store for really really cheap (like two digits cheap!!!)  She brought it up in Feb (happy early birthday to me) and we rearranged my sewing room.  I feel really lucky that I have a designated area to sew because I am not sure I would do it if I didn't.  So here is what my sewing/guest bedroom looks like:

This is my cutting center.  I found this table at Joann's and wonder of all wonders it fit perfectly in my closet.  I can tuck the table top down and provide more room if I need it.















This dresser is right behind my cutting station and is just one of two that holds my stash.  Yes, if my husband knew how much fabric I have, I would never touch a fabric store again!















And this is my sewing station.  The cabinet Mom (and Dad) got for me is to the left and the back props up to create a large surface perfect (I think) for quilting.  I have a small ironing station right there as well.

I have been meaning to post these pictures a long time ago, but being sick inspired me.  Weird, I know.  Anyway back to the being sick story . . .  So yesterday I actually used my cabinet for the first time!!!  I was tired of cutting so I started a project.  It felt so good to be creative and accomplish something.  (Last time I was in there, all I did was cut scraps which, while productive, was not very exciting.)  I am excited to have gotten back to sewing.  I highly doubt I will finish before my next class starts, but I am a firm believer in everyone needs to have a creative outlet (hobby) and I have not had mine for quite a while.  So I will keep you posted on how well I can keep up.

Well, apparently I am a little long-winded this morning.  My apologies! 

Enjoy your day!

1 comment:

Nichole said...

Hope you're feeling better. I agree about the creative outlet. There will always be "busy"ness and work. Sometimes we have to take a little time for ourselves so we don't go insane.