Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Scraps

I have been wanting to take a class from a quilting store down in TC and yesterday I had that opportunity. It was a Scrap Cutting class. While the idea and the patterns were really good and I was the only one in the class so there was lots of one on one attention (woo-hoo), it was the actual cutting that got me excited. The teacher showed me how to use a ruler (one I had and did not know how to use so I gave it away at our Retreat last year-kick myself, kick myself, kick myself) that makes cutting over in a less than 15 minutes. If any of you have seen my overflowing stash, I do not just have nice fat quarters and jelly rolls (or whatever they call them). I have BIG pieces. So cutting when you want to start a pattern is a pain and usually is the longest part of my quilting process. Plus I am a sucker for fabric and take any donated fabric people are handing out, which means I have a lot of scrap fabric. Well, she showed me yesterday how to cut that fabric into three usuable sizes in a short, short amount of time. I wish I could go into more detail online, but I will say that the teacher is coming to our Crafter's Retreat Feb 5th-7th and will be demo-ing this cutting technique. (Once again, a shameless plug on my part, but hey, it is my blog.) ;-) I can't wait to go buy this ruler so I can do some more cutting. Since starting my Master's I haven't felt like I have the time to spare to quilt, but with this quick technique, I may be able to get back to doing what I love.

Enjoy your day!

No comments: