Thursday, December 4, 2008

Lefse's Done!

Yeah, we survived the Lefse Making Day. A friend and I worked all afternoon on lefse making yesterday up at our church. We barely got finished before it was time for the soup supper. Needless to say, by the time I got home, I was tired!! My shoulders are sore from rolling and bending over the counter. (Being tall has it's disadvantages in cases like this.) However, all & all it was a success.

We both had very different ways to make it (ingredients). I learned that last year when I was doing some homework on lefse. Not everyone uses the same ingredients and not everyone agrees on the thickness it should be. My family (husband & kids) didn't know that in my family (gparents, parents, etc) we are used to thin lefse. So when I made my first batch last year and they were thick, they thought they were tortillas and so it tasted just fine to them. (I didn't care for them that's for sure.) Well, this year I thought I had done a lot better rolling them out, although they were sticking to my cloth more, but no. They are thick & doughy just like last year. I may have to invest in some more lefse tools. Although all the tools in the world won't help if it's user malfunction!!

The fog that has been blanketing this area for the last week has finally lifted in the last few days. It's nice to see the sun again. Can't say it's much warmer, but at least it's not dark & dreary. Probably will take the kids to see Santa tonight. I hear he happens to make a pass through our little town on Thurs in December.

Well, better go get something done! Enjoy your day!

2 comments:

G'G'ma said...

Hello fellow Lefse maker. I made ours yesterday. I make mine thin and they aren't round but rather ragged looking but sure do taste good.

Welcome to the world of blogging. I've been blogging just over a year and am having such a good time. Can't believe that people from all over the world have read my blog. Most are just lurkers as I was for about 6 months!!

My sympathy to your family on the death of your grandfather. Are you from MN originally? We are.

daisiesnlilacs said...

This is only my second time making lefse. This years' batch turned out much thicker than last years. Never round though, that would be too perfect! My Gma's is always made thin and that's what I was used to growing up.

I discovered blogging through Crazy Mom Quilts blog. Love her stuff! I discovered yours when you commented on something she had made. I have been keeping up on your blog and was pleased to read that you are from MN and mention foods I'm used to hearing about. I grew up in southern MN and then moved to southern Idaho when I was in high school. My folks still live in Idaho, but the extended family lives in MN.