Monday, October 20, 2008

Oh Happy Day!!

I finished the baby quilt for the shower tomorrow night. This was my first time hand quilting. For being a person who follows the rules and doesn't break away too often, my quilting apparently is where I like to rebel a little bit. A fellow quilter mentioned that she doesn't use a hoop when she hand quilts. I had tried it once with a hoop and had no luck at all. So I tried this one without the hoop. While it got a little puffy, I really like it and it was really easy to quilt. (Now, remember that I make lap & baby size quilts so it can be easy to handle that small of a quilt.) The backing is the same as the green in the front. Not your typical girl baby quilt colors, but they turned out pretty good I think. There was a little bit of gold flecks in the multi-colored print and the beige has those same gold flecks. The green was also in the multi-colored piece.
I'm relieved that it survived the first washing. I wasn't sure how well it would handle a washing & drying. Usually I don't wash & dry the quilts I'm giving away. (Don't ask me why, but I just haven't.) However, I wanted to make sure it wasn't going to fall apart or bleed colors. I took these pictures before I washed it, though, just in case. You should have seen the happy dance when it came out looking okay.
This one was a quilt that I had started when we first moved here and I think it was completed in 2005 or 2006. However, one of the few women I know that are expecting boys here in the next little bit got this one. I hadn't taken any pix of it yet, but I thought it might be fun to include it. The backing is the same light green that is around the edge. (I usually bring my backing fabric over to be the binding.)
Now that those are finished, I need to start another girl one for someone else who is expecting in Nov. Busy time of the year I guess.
Off to my nephew's fball game tonight in the TC. Kind of a cold day so we will really have to bundle up to stay warm. Fall is definitely in the air. Haven't had to start the wood stoves yet, but I'm sure that time is coming real soon.
Enjoy the rest of your day!!


2 comments:

daisiesnlilacs said...

PS The size of the girl quilt was only 34"X34"

Anonymous said...

Both look great, Jen! Congrats on getting them done. Mom