Thursday, July 30, 2009

A Belated Birthday Present

I love the fact that some of my friends have started quilting. It's so nice to have a craft in common with them. However, they were all smarter than me and started with nice, small, simple projects like tablerunners. So I decided to learn from them and I finished (yes with all the quilts I've made, I've never made one) my FIRST tablerunner!

This one is for my mom for her birthday. It was last week, but I knew I was going to see her this week so I wanted to give it to her in person. (I'm safe posting this because I know she's on the road right now on her way up here and won't be able to check the internet before she gets to my house!)

One of the times we went shopping for fabric, she found this butterfly fabric and the purple fabric. She left it here for use at sometime. Think she'll be mad I used it for her? ;-)

This was a fast project (the hand quilting took a little bit of time because I hadn't sewn for awhile). I decided not to try my hand at free motion quilting on this particular project because I wanted to practice some more.

This is the back. I had to piece the back because the blue fabric had a cut right in the center of it. I had to cut the fabric into two pieces and I couldn't make it cover the whole back. So I took a chance.

I really hope she likes it and I can't wait to see it on her kitchen table. I fell in love with the colors. I don't usually get to make ones with these colors so it was a lot of fun.
I did make at least two mistakes and one is very obvious but you would have to look close. I don't mind making mistakes because I think every quilt should have at least one. However, two is annoying! Oh well.
I love my mom so much so I hope she likes it! I'll keep you posted!
Enjoy your day!

No comments: